What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is the fastest growing natural health care profession in the world. It was discovered in 1895 in Davenport, Iowa, U.S.A. D.C.’s (Doctors of Chiropractic) specialize in locating and correcting a serious condition known as Vertebral Subluxation. A Vertebral Subluxation is a misalignment of one or more of the twenty four moveable bones of the spine. They are commonly caused by stresses and impacts to the body from poor posture, poor sleeping habits, slips and falls, vehicular accidents, sports impacts, strenuous exercise, work injuries, childhood falls, even the birth process. Subluxations cause dangerous stress to the spinal cord and the delicate spinal nerves which exit the spine between the spinal bones. This causes irritation to the nerves and interferes with their ability to function properly. This nerve interference causes the body to lose it’s ability to function optimally and ill health eventually results. Though serious even in their early stages, subluxations are often not painful.
It may be obvious that you need to see a Chiropractor if you are experiencing neck pain, back pain, hip pain, headaches, numbness/tingling or curvature of the spine. However, many people don’t realize that chiropractic care has an excellent record of success helping many health conditions. Maintaining a healthy and well-aligned spine is extremely important and is the most often overlooked key to staying healthy.
Chiropractic treatments called spinal adjustments are comfortable, safe, and highly effective. People of all ages can receive chiropractic care to stay healthy, including infants and the elderly. Years of training, education, experience enable your Chiropractor to determine if chiropractic care can benefit you and your family. Chiropractors are highly educated, caring professionals sensitive to the natural health care needs of your family.
Misaligned vertebrae that pinch nerves can result in the following conditions:
- Neck pain.
- Numbness / tingling / burning.
- Stiffness / loss of normal movement.
- Shoulder / arm / hand problems.
- Loss of strength.
- Problem involving eyes, ears, nose and throat.
- Tension across the shoulders.
- Mid-back pain.
- Pain wrapping around the rib cage.
- Problems involving the heart, lungs, stomach, gallbladder, and other digestive organs.
- Low-back pain.
- Leg / knee / ankle problems.
- Disc problems.
- Hip / groin pain.
- Abdomen / bladder / bowel problems.
- Reproductive problems.
- Circulation problems.
- The nervous system is the master control system and you need to have it operating at 100%.
Interesting Facts and Statisitcs
The popularity of chiropractic is at an all-time high
- 80% of Americans will suffer from back pain at some point in their lives.
- Back symptoms are the most common cause of disability for individuals under the age of 45.
- 20% of all American military medical discharges are due to low back pain.
- More than 20 million Americans will seek chiropractic care this year.
- Chiropractic has been around for more than 100 years.
- Today there are approximately 50,000 chiropractors in the United States -10,000 in Japan – 5,000 in Canada – 2,500 in Australia – 1,000 in the U.K. -and 100-500 in each of Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Africa, and The Netherlands.
- In the western world 85% of people will be disabled by back pain at some point in their lives.
- 1992 costs associated with low back pain in the U.S. were estimated to be $60 billion.
The Manga Report – 1993
- Nearly 30% of the U.S. population aged 18 and older have used
The Gallup Organization -1991.
- WCB studies indicate a 45-55% saving in overall costs when treatments are provided by a chiropractors instead of a medical doctors.
California, 1972-Wisconsin, 1978 – Florida,1988 • Utah.1991 – State of Victoria, Australia, 1992.
- 9 out of 10 chiropractic users feel their treatment is effective.
The Gallup Organization – 1991.
- 58% of those using chiropractic considered it an essential part of their heath insurance package.
The Gallup Organization – 1991.
- “Chiropractic patients were 3 times more satisfied with their care than
patients of family practice physicians.”
Western Journal of Medicine – 1989.
- “Chiropractors are now accepted as a legitimate healing profession by the public and by an increasing number of physicians.”
The Manga Report -1993
- “Chiropractic is a growing component of the health care sector, and it is widely used by the population.”
The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg. Virginia, and Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, Januar -1992
- 94% of all spinal manipulations are performed by chiropractors.
Do You Know That Chiropractic Care Is Second To None?
According to a study conducted by Ontario’s Ministry of Health “…for the management of low-back pain, chiropractic care is the most effective treatment, and it should be fully integrated into the government’s health care system.” The same study also found, “…injured workers … diagnosed with low-back pain returned to work much sooner when treated by chiropractors than by physicians.”
According to the British Medical Research Council Study, spinal manipulation performed by chiropractors was found more effective than alternative treatments for low-back pain.
According to medical researcher TW Meade, M.D. “…chiropractic is a very effective treatment, more effective than conventional hospital outpatient treatment for low-back pain, particularly in patients who had back pain in the past and who got severe problems”.
The Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Chiropractic Management of Low-Back Pain (The Manga Report). Pran Manga and Associates (1993) – University of Ottawa. Canada.
Low Back Pain of Mechanical Origin: Randomized Comparison of Chiropractic and Hospital Outpatient Treatment. Meade. TW et al British Medical Journal – 1990;300:1431-1437.
Chiropractic Treatment vs. Outpatient Hospital Treatment by P.T.’s and M.D.’s
In this study, British medical researchers found chiropractic treatment significantly more effective than hospital outpatient treatment, especially in patients with chronic and severe back pain. Significantly fewer patients needed to return for further treatments at the end of the first and second year in those who received chiropractic care (17% compared with 24%). In addition, “two and three years after patients with back pain were treated by chiropractors, they experienced far less pain than those who were treated by medical doctors.”
The Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Chiropractic Management of Low-Back Pain (The Manga Report). Pran Manga and Associates (1993) – University of Ottawa, Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it expensive?
Actually, most insurance plans cover chiropractic care today. If not, there are affordable cash care plans.
How often do I have to go?
You can go as little as once, just to try it out, however, a standard care plan will probably be more efficient. Typically, we can expect significant improvements within 1 month of care. Most patients will know if they can respond well to chiropractic within a short period of time.
Does it hurt?
Chiropractic is safe and gentle. Most patients feel immediate relief with spinal adjustments.
What is that cracking noise?
Actually, nothing does crack. Just like your hands gliding together to make a noise, two joints glide against one another and release air. The noise is just gas.